Subject matter experts (SMEs) are vital to the success of any e-learning program, classroom training or professional development initiative. But it’s impossible to keep your instructional design and content development projects on schedule and on budget when you can’t get the information you need, when you need it.
We have over three decades of experience developing all types of professional training. And we’ve designed effective practices as part of our IDEAL methodology.
They include practical tools and techniques to help manage timely and efficient engagement of subject matter experts in the content design process. These tools are focused on minimizing disruption to subject matter experts’ “day jobs,” while keeping learning development teams on track toward a successful launch and outcome.
The right expertise
Subject matter experts play a pivotal role in any learning initiative. Providing relevant and accurate content to our Learning Services professionals, the SME becomes part of a team that delivers an effective learning experience within an organization.
A key role of our instructional designer is to engage the subject matter expert and build a relationship to foster participation. Keys to success include:
- Motivating busy business leaders to see value in the learning initiative
- Engaging active SME participation in a clear, established project methodology
- Adapting schedules and processes to accommodate busy people
- Providing thought leadership, in both our craft and industry knowledge to gain credibility and trust
- Ensuring governance and the integrity of courseware, with plenty of time for review and editing
- Delivering quality design that provides the business results you seek and a project the SME can be proud of.
Our project management approach is designed to keep initiatives on track, in scope and in balance with available subject matter expert time. It includes:
- Adherence to standards and methods
- Role definition and clarification
- Clear methodology and approach.